Monday, January 20, 2014

January 20th

One word to describe this week: hot. 

HOTHOTHOTHOTHOTHOTHOTHOTHOT. 





It reached up to 47 degrees Celsius, a whooping 115 degrees Fahrenheit. So. incredibly. painful. Our flat does not have air conditioning and its on the top floor of our complex so it was felt even hotter in our flat then outside. Sister Huang and I could not get any sleep the first night. Luckily, we were able to get a fan from the office before the worst part of the heat wave hit. On the 45 degree day, all of our appointments canceled, because it was too hot and so we had to go finding for most of the day. It was not the most productive. I was bearing my testimony to this one girl and she just sat there with her mouth slightly open, not responding at all. I asked her if she would be interested in learning more and she responded, "I'm sorry, I did not get a word you said. I can't focus. I need to lie down" and left holding her head haha. So bad. BUT, we did have the opportunity to meet with a really great girl this last week. She is a referral from one of the elders. Her name is Jackie and she really seems like she has a lot of interest in learning more about the Gospel. 

Sister H and I have borrowed the Doctrine and Covenant DVDs that are used in seminary class and we have LOVED watching the videos during dinner. Some of the segment are preeeeetty 80s, but I feel like I have gotten a lot out of it. There was one segment we watched recently on receiving and understanding personal revelation. It stated: 

"Revelation comes in many different forms. Peace is one form of personal revelation.There are many others. Through the Holy Ghost, our loving Heavenly Father can send revelations in the forms of impressions, thoughts, promptings, remembering, comfort, or even guilt for sin." 

I really think that last revelation that the Heavenly Father sends is very interesting. Why in the world is guilt for sin classified as revelation? As I thought about it more, I came to the conclusion that the purpose of revelation is to help us come into greater alignment with the Lord. This alignment can only be done as we repent of anything that keeps us away from God. As we recognize and feel guilt for our sins, it helps us acknowledge our Savior and begin the process to become more like Him.  I have been working on repenting daily these last few weeks, especially before Sunday when we have to take the sacrament, and it has really helped me feel a lot more happiness and peace (even in the heat haha). The ability to repent is really such a blessing.

I love you all so much!

-Sister Bennion

Emma it is good to hear that you are doing well! And concerning basketball, I heard a great quote lately. It is "Pressure is a privilege." No one improves if they do not feel pressure to aim higher and be better. I know you will be able to work with this pressure and it will help you become an even better basketball player and all around person!

LOVE, Sister Bennion

No comments:

Post a Comment