Monday, October 14, 2013

October 14th

CONFERENCE WAS SO FANTASTIC. 

I loved it. It was exactly what I needed. The week before conference, we asked all of our investigators and members who came to conference to prepare a specific question. I decided to follow my own counsel and prepare some as well. And each of them was answered throughout the course of conference. One that was particularly helpful to me was the talk about meekness by Elder Soares. Meekness is definitely a defining feature of the Savior and one that I need to work to develop more. I really loved the quote by Lorenzo Snow: 
 “It is our duty to try to be perfect, … to improve each day, and look upon our course last week and do things better this week; do things better today than we did them yesterday.”11 So the first step to becoming meek is to improve day by day. Each day we need to try to be better than the previous as we move forward through this process."
 Or, in the words of another certain wise and beloved man, "perfection's not a destination, its a joyful ride" :) if today was better than yesterday, if we are kinder, more charitable, more hardworking, and more Christlike than the day before, then we have succeeded. 

More news: One of our main investigators, Lynn, is so amazing! I feel so blessed to have met her. She is so humble and willing to learn. Last week, we asked if she would like to move her baptism date to Oct 25 and she agreed! I'm so excited for her to enter into her first covenant with the Lord and see how He works miracles in her life! 

-Sister Bennion

Thank you so much for the email, Papa! I also think it is so weird that people are so opposed to something that is so good. We have an investigator who has a Christian background. All of his friends have told him (and are still telling him) that our church is evil. He comes to lessons and even church meetings, but absolutely refuses to read the Book of Mormon, because his preacher told him it is the devil's book (the first character of the book of mormon's title in chinese ironically and irritatingly sounds exactly like the Chinese word for devil....which does not help matters). We are having a lesson with him today and will talk with him about general conference. Fingers crossed that it will go well! 

I really liked your comments on the marble statue. As long as there is progress, even when it is not easily discernible, I can feel good about my efforts as a missionary. And I have really come to the realization this week that I need to stop being so focused on all the progress I need to make and start focusing on the needs of other. I really need to forget myself and go to work and all of the little things will start to become less and less important :)

Love you! 


-Sister Bennion

One of my favorite candies in Australia

No comments:

Post a Comment